| It is a mother-daughter organization. The mothers are called Patronesses and the daughters are called Ticktockers. Membership in the organization provides opportunities for mothers and daughters to enjoy their mother-daughter relationship in philanthropic, cultural, leadership, and educational activities.
- Philanthropic Service: Our desire is to learn what philanthropic needs exist in our community and to help meet those needs whenever possible.
- Cultural: Our goal is to develop cultural awareness by planning and attending various events and each year selecting a different art form.
- Leadership: Our intent is to enhance potential leadership skills through team building, problem solving, mentoring, and group dynamics.
- Educational: Our aim is to provide experiences by participating in various activities that will educate and enhance our membership. These include attending and conducting meetings using parliamentary procedures, speakers, and special guests.
The mission, as stated above, is carried out through mother-daughter community involvement and personal, educational and cultural activities. The Ticktocker experience strives to provide the opportunities for each girl to know the joy of helping others, to learn tolerance and kindness, and to make friends while sharing and participating in these activities.
|“The Charity League” was founded in Los Angeles in 1925 by a few dedicated women interested in philanthropic service to their community. Their many activities included Red Cross tasks of making layettes for needy babies and the assembling of food baskets for distribution to the poor at Thanksgiving and Christmas. Several daughters assisted their mothers with these projects. The original group included the mother and aunt of Mrs. Paul William Lawrence, who later became the founder of National Charity League.
In 1936, two hundred of the daughters formally organized and chose the name “Ticktocker”. On April 10, 1942, Mrs. Lawrence registered the name “The Charity League” in Sacramento. The League was dormant during World War II but in 1946 was reactivated. At that time, the girls and their mothers sent five hundred pounds of clothing to war victims in England, Holland and Belgium, and participated in a variety of local philanthropic endeavors. Similar mother-daughter groups in other communities were considering joining the league concept. On January 20, 1947, the league was reorganized under the name “National Charity League”. Mrs. Lawrence became the first president and served in that office from 1947 – 1950. The original Ticktocker daughters were of high school and college age. On September 10, 1947, National Charity League was incorporated as a non-profit corporation organized solely for the social, cultural and philanthropic purposes. In Los Angeles, members purchased “Ticktocker House” as the first NCL thrift shop and toy loan center as well as providing space for local youth groups. The 1958 articles of incorporation were filed for “National Charity League, Inc.” which paved the way for the league’s national significance. The South Coast Chapter was the twelfth national chapter founded in 1961 and Mrs. Voler Viles was the first chapter President.
National Charity League, Inc. now has 156 chapters in 16 states with more than 33,000 total members. All chapters embrace the philosophy of strengthening the mother-daughter relationship through philanthropic work. We may all be proud of our legacy and grateful to that small group of women in 1925. For more information about NCL, Inc., please visit the national website atwww.nationalcharityleague.org.
Our chapter has members from Long Beach, Lakewood, Seal Beach, Surfside, Sunset Beach, Rossmoor,
Los Alamitos, Cypress, Garden Grove, Westminster, Huntington Beach, Fountain Valley and Signal Hill.